It’s tax time. April 17th is a few days away and most of us are experiencing some level of a reality check about our financial situation.
Let’s talk about what concrete steps you can take today to lower your financial stress.
Know Stress Symptoms
- Sleep problems
- Weight gain
- Colds and flu
- Immune system problems
- Skin problems
- Memory problems
Tips For Your Financial Stress
- Be Honest. Tell the truth about your financial status. Come clean and start with a clean slate to begin the process of healing.
- Talk to Lenders. Talk to the lenders and tell them the situation.
- Create A Plan. Create a plan; you will feel more in control and reduce your stress
- Apps. There are great free apps and websites with budget advice to suit your needs. You’ll have immediate access to assistance from the leaders in the field.
- Debt and Budget Counseling. You can go online and discover many companies and individuals that offer financial counseling.
- Family Meetings. Call a family meeting and get the entire family on board. Ask everyone in the family for creative ideas on creating income and cutting expenses. You will be surprised by how much wisdom your kids have.
- Family Budget. Design a family budget with all family members. Have each family member create their own budget and discuss. This way you share goals and challenges. You can also support and help each other. Don’t make this a fearful process. Call it “Team Hall” or whatever fun name you create to make this like a sports event including four quarters, bad and good plays, winning and losing quarters, timeouts, and overtime. You are the leader. You parents will create the mood, inspiration, and direction for your family. You are giving your family a gift that will last a lifetime.
- Hope. Hope reduces stress and creates happiness. Teach your children this valuable lesson as you struggle through this challenging financial time. Every obstacle is an opportunity.
- Buddy System. There is shame associated with financial stress and financial problems. You may want to keep your situation a secret so people will not think you are a failure. Let me tell you a secret. We all have financial problems throughout the peaks and valleys of our lives. Remember, “secrets kill, honesty heals.” Don’t forget that all of us have experienced financial challenges. Tap into the support and experience of others.