Want to help change the world while you go Christmas shopping? Consider buying gifts from charitable organizations. The money that you spend will go to a good cause and your friends and family members will get an awesome gift as well.
Looking for some inspiration? Check out the Mindful suggestions for gifts listed below.
- Help wildlife. With climate change, pollution, and deforestation, our wildlife is in desperate need of our help. If your gift recipient loves animals, consider making a donation in their name to the World Wildlife Fund. If you give a certain amount of money you’ll receive a thank-you gift that you can also give to your gift recipient. For instance, if you give a donation of $55 in your friend’s or family member’s name, you will also receive a graphic t-shirt, wildlife mug, felt ornaments, or a game to give to your loved one as well.
- Support equal rights. Does your friend or family member support rights for all? Consider buying a gift that helps a good cause, like the Human Right Campaign. You can buy a tie, blanket, t-shirt, sweatshirt, or ring for under $55 and 100 percent of the proceeds will go to the Human Rights Campaign. Your donation will help fight for the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer Americans and your loved one will get an awesome gift.
- Provide relief for people in need of shelter. It’s estimated that 1.6 billion people around the world lack adequate housing. Fortunately, charitable organizations such as Habitat for Humanity are striving to make a difference one house at a time. You can help support Habitat for Humanity and their mission to build homes and improve local communities. Buy Habitat for Humanity tools, camping gear, and travel accessories and give them away as gifts to family and friends.
- Help children’s dreams come true. The Make-A-Wish Foundation works to grant the wishes of young children with life-threatening medical conditions. Through this foundation, a seven-year-old got to be a pirate treasure hunter for a day and a sixteen-year-old got to meet Dr. Neil deGrasse. You can help this foundation by buying jackets, hats, and polo t-shirts through the foundation. Up to 50 percent of your purchase will help the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- Support education. Does your gift recipient love to learn? Are they a big fan of museums? Consider giving them a gift from the Smithsonian Institute. Your gift will support the Smithsonian and your family member or friend will love it. You can buy books, art, home décor, beautiful jewelry, and fun kid toys, including puzzles, stuffed animals, and science kits.